If you are anything like me, you have heard from a million different people that you need to use a surge protector because an electrical surge could destroy your computers or other electrical gear. I have even payed lip service to this adage many times, but I don't think it ever clicked for me how real the danger is. I have heard about surges happening durning storms, but I had never seen the damage that a power surge can do till I went in to work on Friday of last week.
This particular power strip was the one that the score board controller at Wallace Wade Stadium was plugged into. Pretty gnarly, huh? The amazing thing about this is that the surge protector totally did its job. The scoreboard controller was completely unscathed (Except for a bit of blackening from where the power strip was sitting on the controller). A $1000.00 piece of equipment was saved simply because it was plugged into a $20.00 power strip. Isn't that worth the hassle of buying and using a power strip?